A Bit of History
The Village of Johnstown is part of a four thousand acre (16 km) tract of land deeded to John Brown, a revolutionary soldier, by President Adams for military services in 1800. Brown sold the property in 1810 for $2.50 per acre to Dr. Oliver Bigelow. Dr. Bigelow laid out and incorporated the village of Johnstown, donating the streets, alleys and the town square. In 1926 a nearly complete skeleton of a mastodon was found, and subsequently sold to the Cleveland Museum of Natural Histor
The population was 3,440 at the 2000 census.
There were 1,396 households out of which 35.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.1% were married couples living together, 12.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.2% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 29.5% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.4 males.